Monday 2 September 2013

Eating out in Windhoek- Yum-yum!

Hi Blog readers!

Apologies are in order for not updating this blog spot since June!  We all know that life sometimes gets busy and you get pulled in different directions.  Well... I plead guilty.


This is a scene from Namibia's dunes!  It is taken by my friend, the truly great Namibian photographer  and visual artist,  Paul van Schalkwyk www.paulvans.com

Aside from wonderful landscape visas like this one, Namibia has nice restaurants.  Let me be more precise, Windhoek and Swakopmund have great free-standing restaurants.  What I mean  by 'free standing' is that other towns and smaller places have eating spots but, mainly they are part of a hotel or lodge. 

Being from the States, I love going out to eat and it is more than the food that draws me!  It is the atmosphere, social interaction and 'down-time' with friends and family that keeps me going to restaurants and cafes and wine bars.  I also love the fact that I don't have to clean up afterwards nor worry about cooking anything!

From Scott and Judy Hurd
www.scott-hurd.co.uk
 My favorite eating spot in a café called Fresh n' Wild, here in Windhoek.  They've gotten popular and opened up two additional outlets in various parts of the city.  They are like a café in Adams Morgan in DC or in the Village in New York.  Lots of glass, modern architecture, and a progressive ambiance.  I do a lot of meetings there and I really can write my articles and stories well in there!  I love it.

A new eatery opened up very close to FnW called "The Joy of Food." my friend Joy Sasman opened up this place and her carrot cake cupcakes are to die for.   The cheesecake attempts to be New York Style, but has a long way to go. Still, Joy has a cold buffet of various items you can help yourself and eat.  The butter-braised and herbed zucchini is a winner! They weigh your plate and that is how they charge.  Her pricing is reasonable for Windhoek. I've only been there a few times, so I can't get the full vibe yet, but so far, so good! 

This is NOT the Hilton, but it is a type of lodge restaurant where I have eaten many times!  Now, how relaxing is this?  Wow...
(photo from Scott and Judy Hurd)
The Hilton Hotel here in Windhoek has a good restaurant with a buffet for dinner.  It is pricy, but, it's Hilton, so there it is.  At least you can get a fancy cocktail before your dinner (I like a double Tanqueray and tonic with extra lemon and lime and ICE!) Still, the food is plenty and good... the meat dishes are a bit over-cooked and dry on buffets as the food is not prepared a la carte specifically for you, but there is acceptable food taste in places and the variety of dishes offered makes up for shortcomings. 

In the near future, I will eat at my favorite spots around town and take some photos for upcoming blogs.

If you come to Namibia for holiday, choose to go with the Gondwana Desert Collection  www.gondwana-collection.com for your accommodation all over Namibia.  My friend Manny runs a great lodge chain! 

Call up my friend Martin at Ultimate Safaris if you need a tour operator to help you get your tour of Namibia booked.  www.ultimatesafaris.na.  He'll do an excellent job.
This photo of a baby zebra nursing from its Mom, is from my friends
Scott and Judy Hurd, www.scott-hurd.co.uk
 
When you come to Namibia....

Tell 'em, Jackie sent ya'

No comments:

Post a Comment